Sunday, March 16, 2008

Surveying our first outyard



They're good people, Deb and Butch. I've known them both a long time. Deb and I had a telephone conversation early in the winter about installing a beehive in their garden. This is a win-win situation for all of us and for gardeners within a three to five mile radius from them. And hopefully a great place, too, for the bees.

At our current location we can comfortably keep two hives but no more. The area is much too residential and I feel there's far too much chemical treatment going on all around us for the health of our bees. During our visit to their garden yesterday Butch assured me his treatment is strictly as nature intended--he uses nothing more than cow manure to enrich his soil and fertilize his plants.

I don't know whether these photos accurately indicate the size of their garden. It's big! Though we don't know for certain, Mike and I think it might be about 1/4 acre in size. Butch seemed genuinely excited about having our honey bees working along side him and Deb this Summer. I feel good about having our "girls" sharing a sunny garden with such a nice couple. I wish us all a very happy and productive growing season!

Labels: , , , ,